Saturday, April 30, 2011

We have seen Big Brother…

…and he is us.


I don’t consider myself to be paranoid, but I do believe in a measure of caution (usually). In the virtual world, the same rules should apply to the physical world – some do and some don’t. The way you behave in public should be the same way you behave on the internet. Unfortunately, I can be equally inappropriate in both places. Most of this is in an attempt at humor and often it goes wrong. Do not believe for a minute that hitting the delete button erases your indiscretions.


Facebook, YouTube, Flicker (or any other photo sites), Twitter, Foursquare, etc, etc, etc… we are putting ourselves out there. While in a perfect world these are fun, benign distractions, things can go terribly wrong.

I know two people who have lost their jobs from Facebook postings. I know (at least) one person who, if a certain YouTube video is discovered, would be in serious trouble – at very least, seriously embarrassed. While the narcissistic world of Twitter is generally too filled with meaningless trash to even notice, law enforcement is paying attention and making arrests of idiots who tweet their deeds and locations. Perhaps most disturbing is Foursquare. Aside from the obvious (?) fact that we really don’t care where you are every moment of the day, here is something to ponder. Physicians (or their minions) are tracking patient activity on Foursquare to see behavior patterns, i.e. the nightly barhopping you like to tell us all about.

All of this is avoidable… or is it? I just saw a posting where someone sent what they thought to be a discreetly handled letter about a very personal (and very embarrassing) matter and it wound up on the internet. Still avoidable? Probably… if you want to go off the social grid or if you are a boyscout choirboy priest… can’t find a good analogy, but you get my point, you can avoid it.

Will I change my behavior? I already have. Will I keep all of this in mind when I am roaming the virtual pathways? You bet. Will I ever sign up for Foursquare? I doubt it.

So the next time you complain on Facebook or any other social media about your job, family, friends… you have just given more power to Big Brother. Who, by the way, is you.

5 comments:

Galen said...

Doctors tracking your activities? Oh, my. My life is pretty dull, so I don't have too much to worry about, but I have become more circumspect in little things like announcing that I'm going on a trip, because I figure the thieves in the city don't really need to know that. I know that my kids and their peers have been very indiscreet about work and other things. For too many folks, common sense is a very uncommon concept.

Thom said...

Very true, Galen. I am also aware of two irnoies - I will probably alienate some people by writing this AND some are the very people who have encouraged me to start writing again. More fallout from virtual living

Thom said...

Ha! Not sure what "irnoies" are but I think you know what I meant to say.

John (from Iowa) said...

All the more reason to not have Facebook, no blog, and no Twitter. Does that about cover it? Don't even know what Foursquare is. Is that a good thing that I don't know? E-mail & texting are enough to get me in trouble as it is . . .

joetalk said...

Amen sista! I always think would I want my parents, friends, boss to see what I just posted. Now part of my problem is that I don't necessarily know where the "appropriate" line is and that might be part of my issue all along...

And as far as this "four square" thingy -- i was over that in elementary...