Saturday, December 10, 2011

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays



"Many Christian theologians have moved resolutely away from an exclusive Christology. Today Christology has become (or rebecome) inclusive….” ~Paul F. Knitter

It’s the most wonderful time of the year – where people become divisive about religion.  The angst of “Happy Holidays,” the “share this status if you believe…”

So many contradictions

When in the continuum of Christ theocracy did it become acceptable to exclude people? As one who lives on the fringe of acceptable society, I find exclusion troubling. 

I celebrate Christmas and I say “Merry Christmas” with great joy.  However, I know many who don’t celebrate Christmas.  I see nothing wrong with saying “Happy Holidays.”  Christmas, Chanukah, and New Year’s Day are within a week of each other this year.  This is a Holiday period that INCLUDES Christmas, so why EXCLUDE – Isn’t that the Christian thing to do (you know, that “love thy neighbor” thing… taken from the Torah)?  I do not do it to be politically correct; I do it to share with ALL in the joy of the season.  If you find “Happy Holidays” or anything other than a specific reference to Christ offensive, then remove your “Christmas” tree (ancient pre-Christ Middle Eastern practice condemned in the Bible,(Jeremiah 10: 2-4) and rethink Black Friday and all of the great bargains you are getting in the name of Christmas. 

As I write, I sit here listening to Christmas Carols.  Nice pagan practice in celebration of the Winter Solstice that was taken over by the ancient Roman and Greek Orthodox churches.  I don’t feel particularly blasphemous doing this.

Christmas as we know it today is a combination of many practices and rituals from many cultures and religions.  Does this in any way diminish it?  No.  I find that it makes it richer.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays

No comments: