Saturday, August 30, 2008

Not Exactly a Vacation…


… but close enough. Let’s call it time off. I am taking advantage of a Holiday weekend to have a full week of greatly needed time off.

I have not whined about work for a while, but I will say this much. I need a serious reset. I’m thinking of having a reset button installed… somewhere near the port for a memory card that I have planned. What do you think – neck, forehead? The neck would be better aesthetically, but the forehead would be more practical because I wouldn’t have to fumble without being able to see where I am inserting the card. Maybe a different spot for each… the last thing I need is for some damn fool to come running up and hit a reset button on my forehead. I would probably think it was time to start my day over. Hmmm… the challenges of bionics.

But I digress… and probably inadvertently proved my need for a reset.

So, the “not exactly a vacation” part has to do with the fact that we are not going anywhere. But that’s OK, I have enjoyed home vacations before. But David has to work… but that’s OK (for me, not him), I just need time away from work. But I forgot when I planned this time off that it is a payroll week, so I will have to do that (from home, I hope). But that’s OK, it should only take a few hours. But it will involve communicating with people from work, and I don’t know about you, but to me a vacation means NO communication with work…

I work at strange place where the managers feel they need to be in constant communication with work on their time off. That’s just wrong. Why bother taking the time off if you are checking your work email and making calls to “check in?” I am dedicated, but that is just obsessive and more than a little controlling. I have a good, competent staff and I trust them to do what needs to be done. Someone needs to change that mindset and I am happy to start a new trend.

Now that I whined about work (yet again), the fact remains that I AM on vacation and I have some fun projects planned. Woe be the first misguided soul to call me from work and say “Help me Poppa Smurf, we don’t know what to do!”

5 comments:

.99centPoetry said...

A reset button sounds like a great idea.I'd have mine on the bottom of me feet,so i could walk forever without a clue as to where i'm going,nor a care.

Vacation should mean a total lack of communication from work,even if its a 5 minute thing,thats 5 too many.

"I love it when you call me big poppa" it doesnt have to be a bad thing babe ;-)

.99centPoetry said...

How do I put you on my page as Im on yours?

Claire Uncorked said...

I totally get what you're saying! I really need to work on my work ethic - it used to be good, but now? Not so much. I'm pleased to report that Friday was a productive day, even though I was only there for 5 hours. =)

I'm glad you're getting a break. My favorite part, though, was how often you said "but that's ok". Ha!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear - I think you are confused. I don't think you need a reset button. I think all the staff members need a reset button - or perhaps you should turn them all off then remove their hard drives.

John said...

Well Thom, glad that you took some sort of a vacation. We just returned from our week in Provincetown and I did get recharged, or at least got my attitude completely adjusted. Of course, I am back at it now and it sufficiently elevated my stress level that I decided to leave early on Friday! :-) I indeed needed to meet a good friend of mine for a drink the in later afternoon. I admit that I gazed through your music studio blog...very amibitious (on my part ot rwad and your part to do) and will look forward to hearing some of your craft when you get there. Best of luck getting through the true rainy season and some serious hugs to you!