Sunday, February 1, 2009

Works And Plays Well With Others



During the Christmas Holidays, two tragic events occurred:
1. David’s laptop died.
2. The toilet in David’s bathroom decided to turn into a cascading fountain.

While these may not seem like terribly significant events, they meant that we had to share a computer (my laptop) and a bathroom (my bathroom). I don’t recall which happened first (I was that traumatized by these events) but from the use of the word my before aforementioned laptop and bathroom, you can see that I am a tad possessive about my creature comforts. Yes, I consider my laptop a creature comfort…

These are the things that test the mettle of a man and his relationship.

It has always been my contention that having separate bathrooms is a basic requirement for a successful relationship. Suddenly the (bathroom) wall came down and we actually had occasion where we had to take turns. This was not going to do.

Both David and I spend a lot of time on our laptops (when we should probably be spending it on each other’s – c’mon, you were thinking it before I said it). The idea of taking turns checking email, shopping for new Puma’s (that would be me), doing a crossword puzzle (that would be David), etc…. well, it was just wrong.

After much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth (that would be me), the research began. Visits to hardware stores and computer stores followed. Wrestling with porcelain, hardware, software, and technology ensued. But before the end of January, David and I had separate bathrooms and laptops again.

Phew…

So here we sit, the first day of February, each in our own chair, our own laptop on lap, free to use our own bathroom when the call arrives, trying to forget the trials and tribulations of January…

We survived this one. Still… it makes one shudder to think what other potential catastrophes lurk around the bend…

5 comments:

.99centPoetry said...

Oh yeah...people need their own "things" always.

And I agree about seperate bathrooms having that much an affect on personal relationships.I don't like taking turns at all,or dealing with someones "aftermath"

If you can survive the bathroom you can survive anything ;-)

joetalk said...

The important point is that you made it my dear . . . and look at the next time as a fun anecdote you get to share with us :)

Anonymous said...

Catastrophe can be nice if you can share it with the one you love. On the other hand, bathrooms are definately made for one.

Claire Uncorked said...

Love the picture!

Doug & I share a laptop, & it can be a little frustrating. We muddle through, though.

And yes, I was thinking that...

Nilla said...

Since you know who stayed WELDED to his computer...I can't imagine for one split second that our relationship would survive "computer sharing"....no, no no...
whew
and I agree with you on the bathroom thing. Wayne nad I share a bathroom but it's big enough to where it doesn't matter. (Two sinks and the bath tub and shower are big enough for the both of us)...