Friday, March 6, 2009

Gone Fishing


It’s Friday, I looked at how many hours I worked the past two weeks (three weeks, four weeks…) and I left work at noon. Enough, basta… the crazies are getting crazier and my absence for a few hours won’t make them any less crazy. So I told my boss and off I went. I planned out the afternoon…

THIS JUST IN… as I was writing that last sentence, the phone rang… yes, it was work. A question that was somewhat less than urgent… could have waited until Monday… could have asked somebody else, etc… OK that person will get honorable mention later in this blog.

Anyway… I planned out the afternoon with a mix of “catching up on life” and a bit of fun… and here I sit. I think I lost my motivation on the drive home. That’s what I get for driving with the windows open – it just flew right out when I wasn’t looking.
But we haven’t talked in a while, so let’s discuss…

Let’s see… work… um, no – don’t want to talk about it. Health problems… nope, don’t want to talk about that either. Relationship… well, it’s all good and if I have learned one thing, many people don’t want to hear about a good relationship – dysfunctional relationships are far more entertaining. So what does that leave? Oooo… I know – the honorable mention I referred to.

I work for a small business and out of a staff of 10, two of them are my employees. Probably the two best employees on the staff, but nobody is perfect (I include myself in that). Honorable mention boy is perfect in nearly every way; "nearly" being the operative word for this missive. As valuable as he is, there is one thing that grinds my ass to the bone. He can’t arrive to work on time. I have tried everything from subtle threats to bribery, and he is consistently about 10 minutes late every day. He always makes this time up (and then some) and we do have the flexibility to work this way, but damn it, when someone tells me I need to be at work by a certain time, I am there at least 10 to 15 minutes earlier.

I think the problem is threefold. It is a generational thing, a cultural thing, and a gay thing. It seems that all of our 20 somethings have a problem getting to work on time. Compound that with the fact that he is on both gay time and Latino time… well, there you have it. I could be a hard ass about it, or I could be grateful that he works as well as he does for the pittance we are paying him.

But here is the fun part. My new phone shows a running record of all the text messages I get from him when he is running late and decides to let me know (as opposed to sneaking by my office, like I am not going to see him). Here are some excerpts from what is becoming a fascinating collection of texted excuses:

“running late” – OK, basic and to the point

“Had 2 go back 4 my allergy pills. will b there in a few minutes” – Then get off your damn cell phone and drive instead of texting and driving

“Running a little late. B there soon” – Yeah, heard that one already

“4got that I switched coming in at 10 on thur instead of 2day. B there in a couple of minutes” – May I suggest a PDA, organizer or planning book?

“Slight tire inflation issue I had 2 take care of. B there in 3 minutes” - Points for creativeness on that one

“Sorry 4 the short notice, but i 4got I have labs 2moro morning that i have 2 have drawn. I should b in around 10-10:30” That one came on a Sunday. I didn’t check for puncture marks on Monday, but the kid looked hung-over. Nothing like planned lateness – He actually came in after 11.

And my personal favorite:
“Ok, the train is going so slow, i swear it’s actually going in reverse. I will be there soon after this train actually passes, if ever lol” Don’t lol me

Let me mention that my commute is 2 ½ miles to work – his is shorter. I cross the same train tracks, go through the same school zones, and cross the same bridges that get raised when a boat is coming by… and I am never late.

Don’t get me wrong… I really like the guy. He is smart, talented, and is able to put up with people I want to strangle. So why did I post this. BECAUSE HE CALLED ME ON MY TIME OFF!!!

Ahhh… I feel so much better now.

5 comments:

joetalk said...

Isn't it great to be needed??

Anonymous said...

Next time you get a text from him just answer..."Sorry 4 this...ur fired! LOL" That may be fun for you.

I think he needs someone to hip him to realities of the workplace which he's going to run smack-dab into...every boss is not 'Thom' and there may come a time...well...you know what I mean.

(BTW...I thought colored pee-pulz were the only ones with a special clock? How did gay folk get one too. I need to discuss this with the President.)

Huggle,
Alli

Thom said...

JJ - It gets tired really fast

Alli - No way. Gay time is real. Since I spent so many years on the other side of the fence, I am always the one waiting (except for David - he is a good boy too).

Claire Uncorked said...

I agree, health problems are a drag after a bit, & dysfunction is definitely more fun to read about, which is why mine is rarely mentioned in my blog. I suppose some would see it as boring.

I loved the text messages! I guess you can add entertainment to his many qualities, even if he's always late...

Thom said...

Exactly, Claire... he is always entertaining - especially when he is just being himself. He is a sweet guy who is providing great material for blogging. I have to find the picture with the purple feather boa... now there's a story...