Saturday, July 25, 2009

Before


I feel like I have written this before… probably because I have.

Once again, I am determined to take this jumble of musical instruments and electronic equipment and turn it into a proper home studio. After the “Disaster of ‘08” where my workstation collapsed from the weight of a 110 pound “portable” keyboard, I have not had the motivation to start again. Just the thought of tearing it all apart after the unenviable task of connecting old analog and new digital equipment and having it all play nice with each other… it just sits there taunting me every time I walk in the room. So I stopped walking in the room.

Recently, my music muse has been calling. I have been playing my piano more frequently, I want to get the old calluses back so I can play guitar like I used to, and I feel the desire to compose and record again. Only one way that can happen – got to put the old studio back together. So here are some images of the current disarray:


What you see:
Three keyboards, two rack-mounted synthesizers, two guitars, signal processing equipment, analog and digital multi-track recorders, mixers, two stereo systems, miles of cable organized in neat little containers, a laptop ready to synchronize it all, and a bunch of extraneous bells, whistles, and musical thingies to make any home studio owner proud. In the not-so-proud department is a buch of old software, old PC, files, a bicycle, and other junk that needs to go bye-bye.






What you don’t see:
Strings on the acoustic guitar
The mandolin hiding in the closet
A single keyboard in the upright position (you know, the way you would actually PLAY it)
Not one piece of equipment connected to another.

My muse is not happy with me. Since my writing has pretty much fallen off the radar, I have no creative outlet and I NEED a creative outlet. I hear bits of new music in my head and I have no way to keep them from dissolving into oblivion.

OK, I think I am ready to tackle this thing. It may take some time, but I am determined. Stay tuned (pun intended), with any luck I will be posting “after” pictures so you can see what it is supposed to look like…

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, at least you can find everything in your room! I envy that ability, in my mess room. I tried to learn the keyboard but never did, I sold it on eBay long ago! If you turned on all of the electronics at once do you think it would blow the circuit breaker? hehehe Cheers, Brian

Thom said...

Oh, that's nothing Brian. When I had a real home studio (in a real home) back in the 90's, I had far more than that - including a huge PA system, full drum kit, and a bunch of old analog synthesizers that weighed a ton and actually had to be manually tuned. I think the lights in town did dim a bit when I fired it all up...

Claire Uncorked said...

Good luck with that! I've got all sorts of projects that I want to get done but have no real motivation...or time. Gah.

Thom said...

I understand, Claire. Motivation and time are tied for #1 reason to get nothing done... well, nothing fun.

Jim and Kevin said...

wow, Thom, I just learned something new about you. I had no idea you were had a musical talent, I think that's wonderful. Would love to hear something you've done. I'm glad to hear that string in you is coming alive again. No one should hide their god given talents away in a room or closet. Put them to use and make yourself proud. I wish you luck with everything on this. luv & hugz, Jimmy

Thom said...

Thanks, Jimmy. I take great pleasure in music. I just want to get it all back together so I can pick up where I left off. I need to get all of my old format recording into mp3's, so then I can share. After that - it's new stuff!

Blue Ice Dave said...

I for one am looking forward to the "after" when music fills the house and your creative urges are fulfilled.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
joetalk said...

Oops - I was logged in my church's account by accident when I left my comment :)

I said I was excited to hear your next composition :)

Phil said...

I dragged my electric violin out to LA in May and I still need to go buy a bow and an amp for the thing. I'll get there eventually.

Thom said...

Well, sweetie, we are at the "strange noises from the back room" stage. : )

Thanks, JJ. I am actually making progress converting songs to digital format from the song you heard - too long ago!

Don't feel too bad, Phil. It is like the old "Dog ate my homework" story. The cat ate my violin bow... really... 12 years ago. That's the last time I played violin. Marshall makes some very cool small amps - I have one so small, you can actuallly plug it directly into the intrument jack and walk around playing with it plugged in!