Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Watching The Dark


Wit and Wisdom

Endless time
and senseless rhyme
where’s anything of worth?
The trail narrows before me
that I’ve followed
since my birth

Time just brings
material things
that in time turn to dust
But wit and wisdom
once like steel
begin to fade and rust

People pass like phantoms
‘till you wonder
if they’re real
Concerted indifference
to do anything
but feel

Hollow cries
from sightless eyes
that shed mere tears of dust
But wit and wisdom
once like steel
begin to fade and rust…


Most of this is from song lyrics that I wrote over 20 years ago. Most… because I don’t remember all of the words, so I filled in the rest with what you see here. What I remembered (mostly the music) was going through my head… it relates to some current difficulties. Things are far better than when I wrote the original, but it is good to know that cynicism and exploring the darkness is timeless…

4 comments:

Claire Uncorked said...

As always, that's a good one! Not exactly the feel good poem of the year, but that's ok. I just hope that whatever you're facing becomes less difficult very soon.

Cynicism rules - don't let anyone tell you any differently.

Thom said...

I'll drink to that, Claire. Shame we don't live closer... I bet we could agree on a very nice bottle of wine to share that drink, or two, or three...

Nilla said...

You used to write songs? I never knew, but I am not surprised. You certainly are talented enough. I loved reading this

Anonymous said...

Ughh... that is music to my ears. The flow of it is great. I'd probably be listening to that song right now too, because songs are my moods, and I'm in that mood. Just when I think I'm feeling good, it comes back, I suppose I do it to myself. Anyway, HEY, I live in wine country, get your asses over here! ;-)