Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Goodbye Blue Sky



Richard Wright 1943 – 2008

The world lost a legendary musician yesterday. You may not know the name, but you know his work. Richard Wright was the keyboard player and a founding member of Pink Floyd. He died at the age of 65 from a brief battle with cancer.

The voice and guitar of David Gilmour stand out as the trademark sound of Pink Floyd. The songwriting and lavish conceptual work of Roger Waters made the band rise to the heights of one the most successful bands of all time. But there in the background, were the subtle layers of sound that Richard laid as the foundation for songs that we all know so well. His soft keyboard work on “Shine On You Crazy Diamond,” his beautiful piano sound on “Us and Them,” the unforgettable effects, organ, and strings of “Echoes”… and the list goes on.

Not so long ago, founding Floyd member and cult hero Syd Barrett died and brought the mad genius back into the light for a while. I don’t expect the unassuming Wright will get that kind of attention. But I will remember late nights in a happily altered state (we are talking about Pink Floyd, after all…) listening to “Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun” with my stereo turned very low so I would not wake my parents. I also didn’t want them to smell the aroma coming from my room.

Every once in a while, Richard would step forward and do something musically dynamic and remarkable. I will conclude with the finest of these efforts - the very appropriate “Great Gig In The Sky.”

Say hello to Syd, Richard...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Pink Floyd and I was SO sad to hear this! Given that my favorite Floyd album of all time is "Animals", I've been listening to "Sheep" as my own little memorial and tribute to Rick.

Claire Uncorked said...

How well I remember the "happily altered state" while listening to Pink Floyd...

Great tribute, Thom.

Anonymous said...

I have never loved a band more then Pink Floyd... Their music has been a part of my life since I was 15 yrs old - I am now 44. That is a long time.