Thursday, December 24, 2009

Six Years Later…

… and much has changed. There is no fireplace; there is no snow… no walk in the rain through the quiet town with friendly greetings that belie the inclement weather.

With gratitude, we welcome some cooler weather (some would laugh at what we consider cooler) that is far more conducive to believing this is actually Christmas week. I consider decorating a palm tree with surfboard and camp shirt lights to be a major bit of acceptance on my part. But this is where we are and this is where will stay (for now) so it is either fight it or accept and go along… I choose acceptance.

What is most important, however, is what has not changed. Sitting in silence, closing my eyes, I can still hear it. A gentle breeze, the sounds of Christmas music, the smells of baking… but more important is the feeling within… Memory is strong and tugs at things to remain unchanged. What I knew to be Christmas – the cold, the snow, the smell of pine and the warmth of a fire – impose upon what is real, what is really to the point.

Christmas may live in memory, but it also lives in the present. Pine trees or Palm trees, snow or sand… it is not important. The spirit that lives within knows not of these things, nor cares. It is in the heart, it is in the spirit, it is in all that we allow ourselves to recognize when we put the external distractions out of the way.

Six years ago, Father Jon made me smile with his open arms that made me feel welcome in a place where I was a stranger. Today, the memory makes me smile despite feeling a stranger in a place stranger still. Maybe it makes me smile because of it.


Merry Christmas





8 comments:

Blue Ice Dave said...

O Christmas Palm, O Christmas Palm
How lovely are your fronds.
Your leaves droop down
under the weight
of lighted shirts and flamingos.

O Christmas Palm, O Christmas Palm
How lovely are your fronds.

Galen said...

"Memory is strong and tugs at things to remain unchanged."

How true, how true. I needed this message today. I consciously worked to create traditions for my kids, imagining, of course, that they would be returning home, or that, at least, they would continue some of those traditions. Now, with so many out of communication, out of my life, I've had to let go of those traditions, slowly, year by year. Now our tradition seems to be having someone in the hospital for the holiday (this year my mother). But I know I need to let those things go, and just celebrate the family that is here. And, if things go right, I might see my first white Christmas ever tomorrow!

Merry Christmas, my friend! All the best to you and David!

Thom said...

Thank YOU, Galen for your comments. After so many years, it is hard to get the "traditional" images out of my head. I am the one who left family behind (for good reason) and started a new life and I do not regret a single day. We are in the here and now... and here we shall stay. Best wishes for that white Christmas!

it's my thing said...

just wish I would have known you six years ago. But now that I know you I am happy for it. Happy Holidays to you and Dave.

John (from where else, but IOWA where it is snowing!) said...

I am THRILLED to see you posted a new blog page after a nearly two month hiatus! I thought maybe you had given up on blogging!

A very Merry Christmas to you and Dave!

P.S. After reading "it's my thing"'s comment I feel proud to say that I did know you 6 years ago. More accurately, we met 6 years ago - I got to know you the following year.

John (from Iowa) . . . snowing!) said...

It cut off my comment after my name!

John (from where else, but IOWA where it is snowing

joetalk said...

I think there's a lot to be said for starting life anew . . . I'm a huge fan of it! I think everyone should hit reset on their life at least once. Gives you more perspective than you think . . .

And with that new life, comes new traditions that replace the old ones. I truly love your Christmas palm and really wish I could wear shorts and flip flops right now! Take care my friend -- know that I loves ya! (and Dave too!)

Hope your Christmas was fantastic and sending you tons of good will for the New Year!!

Inspector Clouseau said...

Nice work. I came across your blog while “blog surfing” using the “Next Blog” button in the Nav Bar at the top of my blogspot blog. I occasionally just check out other blogs to see what others are doing.