Monday, October 27, 2008

The Subtle Art of Avoidance

For the most part, this little four day weekend mini-vacation has been rather successful. No calls from work (so far), weather that has finally turned pleasant, and near completion of a project.

There were a couple of project to choose from, but a gentle nudge from David moved me in the direction of painting my bathroom. OK, so I started it two years ago… and your point is? Since I am getting tired of looking at the paint cans (for two years) and having no towel bar… OK, I see his point. David’s bathroom was painted shortly after we moved in. At the time, I was not yet working and it was just a couple of months after having a heart attack. The difference this time is amazing. What took a couple of weeks two years ago, has taken me three days… so far. Two primer coats to cover the Oh-my-God-is-it-still-the-sixties-orange, and application of a nice caramel colored semi gloss have been completed. That would have been it had I not chosen the “fancy Earth Elements signature series” that requires one more coat. The thought of going all around the nooks and crannies of that bloody bathroom again is about as painful as my muscles from the required squatting, stretching, and general twisting necessary to paint the most difficult room in the house.

I am one of those strange people who actually enjoys painting – I find it therapeutic. Normally, I even enjoy the smell of paint… normally. This is the worst smelling paint I have come across – ever. It has a strong odor of ammonia that gets in the nose and won’t go away. In the air-conditioned jungle humidity of South Florida, you don’t even have the option of opening the windows… until last night. Looking at the forecast, we decided to close the bathroom door to avoid any humidity and open the windows to get that God awful smell out. Blissfully, the temperature went down to 69 degrees for the first time since… I don’t remember when. Today is clear, dry, and tonight it is supposed to get down to the low 60’s! Oh joy, oh rapture, oh bliss, can it be true??? It is even supposed to be so dry that – get this – we have a severe weather alert for low humidity. Anything less than 45% humidity is considered a fire hazard. I can hear you people in the southwest laughing, but it is true – only in Florida…

So why am I rambling about all of this? It is called AVOIDING. The thought of straining my sore muscles, going around the same room one more time (hopefully) and unleashing that God-awful odor has me thinking twice about continuing the project. I know, I know, just one more coat…

Did I mention it is a beautiful day and I have one more day that I don’t have to go to work?

5 comments:

Blue Ice Dave said...

I'd say you justly deserve a break, after working yourself to the bone (without naps!). When it's done I'm sure you will pleased with the completed work.

Anonymous said...

Does this mean we are going to have a 'check out the new bathroom' party?'

Will their be music? food? strippers? hello kitty t-shirts? Do tell.....

Claire Uncorked said...

Hey, we still have stuff we need to paint, & we've been in our house for 7 years now.

Orange in the bathroom? Goodness, it's a good thing you're not a chick or in drag - your makeup would look like a trainwreck.

Anonymous said...

Um, yeah, I just got through the joy of living through waking up one morning two weeks ago to a cloud of ash covering my entire house. I live about 3 miles from where the first big fire broke out in LA. I figure as long as we're talking smell, I sympathize for the lousy smell of the paint but at least the quantity is considerably more contained than the massive amount of smoke I got to inhale. :-P

Keep enjoying the time off! And yay! It's almost Friday!

Thom said...

Well, I didn't avoid - I carried on and was somewhat less than pleased with the reesults. This weekend is "lets try to make the best of it and see if I can fix it" time.

Thank you sweetie, ask me again when I really am done : )

Bathroom party... Hmmmm.. a little kinky, but that works. The strippers are good, food in another room, please, and hello kitty? Let's talk...

Claire, you always understand...

Phil, smoke... ammonia, smoke... ammonia... hard call.