Saturday, November 15, 2008

Common Sense



I hate it when I’m right.

Look… I don’t claim to be perfect – far from it. But I do possess an apparently rare quality – Common Sense. As much as I love some of my co-workers, there seems to be a serious void in the common sense arena. Here is just one example…

A couple of weeks ago, someone called our office with a wonderful idea for a donation – a 20 foot Christmas tree. I overheard the conversation and was gesturing wildly, non-verbally communicating the word “NO” in every way conceivable… to no avail. When I started asking the obvious questions like “Where, exactly, are we going to put it when our ceiling is 16 feet?,” I was told that I am a spoilsport and I say no to everything. Well, yes… like to the albatross of a copier that takes up a big chunk of a tight office and now sits, not functioning, with no technical support that came with this generous donation.

There is a theme here that nobody else seems to recognize… people don’t get rid of things that are useful. But they do dump them on a non-profit organization to get a tax break. Fortunately, I have intercepted a few of these calls and said what others seem incapable of saying; “No, thank you.”

Yesterday the tree arrived. It is, of course, an artificial tree, because live ones don’t fare well in our winter heat. The poor delivery guy wheeled in a pre-decorated tree that stood about six feet tall. Everyone said that I worried for nothing… um, people… that’s the top of the tree. Then three, four foot sections came in next and the panic started. I asked if that was it, and it turned out there was one more section. Short of cutting a hole in the roof, the only alternative is putting it outside. Thinking they were being creative, my crazy co-workers suggested we stake it to the ground. When I pointed out that our “ground” outside is all brick, the real panic ensued. Some thought it was funny – I was not amused.

As the crazy people went back and forth with crazy ideas, I talked to the delivery guy and found out how the sections went together. After trying out different possibilities, we found a way to connect the bottom section into its 4’ X 4’ base (like we have room for that) and put the top piece into it – that alone, almost went to the ceiling. All excited, my crazy co-workers were about to take all of the limbs that needed to be inserted and I said “STOP!” If you take the limbs that are supposed to go in that bottom section, you will have a wide bottom and a skinny top. So we started sorting out limbs that would go into the second section – all while the poor delivery guy is still having to hang around.

When that was done, I told them I had real work to do and to have fun putting it together. I’m the finance guy, not the interior decorator. I have a board meeting coming up where I have the unenviable task of reporting on our current financial status. I walked away and went back to work, allowing the crazy people to do some crazy decorating.

This was not how I planned to spend my work day.

I can’t wait until they figure out that when it comes down after the Holidays, we have to find a place to store it…

8 comments:

Blue Ice Dave said...

Maybe they should consider removing all the furniture from the Great Room and ice-over the floor so it can be turned into a mini-Rockefeller Center for Christmas. Then the ladies could get new outfits and transform themselves into the new Rockettes!

Claire Uncorked said...

As frustrating as that was for you, it was one helluva funny read, Thom! I'd love to see a picture of the final result.

I like Dave's suggestion, I think you should go for it.

Thom said...

Please, you two... don't give them any more crazy ideas!

Anonymous said...

All that for a little erection?

Suavemente

it's my thing said...

There really are crazy people around. I understand your frustration at them.

it's my thing said...

P.S. this is Richard in case you are wondering.

Anonymous said...

Confucius say "The person with the largest Christmas tree most certainly have small brain"

Nilla said...

Oh my...let me say this your co-workers would not have been paid (if they were at all) to deal with this rediculous "donation"...not if I were in charge. I would have pitched a fit! And you're right, there was NO common sense involved with whomever decided to accept this "donation". So what will be done with it later? I would say give it to a needy family but the last time I checked most needy families don't have homes to accomodate a 15 ft. tree...double wides just aren't made for that. I will "pray" for you...I can only imagine what you deal with on a day-to-day basis...
It sounds to me that the company stationary should state (appropriately under the logo) "common sense not included"