Sunday, November 9, 2008

Diligence

“…And so let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York. Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania. Let freedom ring from the snow-capped Rockies of Colorado. Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California.”

45 years later…

We watched, we listened, we spoke, we voted, and we have overcome.

I understand that not everyone is celebrating. I live in a little blue island of a big red state. The passage of a state amendment making gay marriage, and even straight couple civil unions illegal, is a sobering reminder of how far we still have to go. But Tuesday night we took a giant leap.

The pendulum swings.

I don’t believe for a minute that prejudice is now a thing of the past. I think that some people voted in spite of their apprehension and fear. But when the fear of continued arrogance and belligerence is greater than taking a chance, a bold statement must be recognized.

Change.

The real work has just begun. It is time to turn this ship around. It is time to regain credibility with the rest of the world. It is time to prove that the apprehension and fear of the unknown was, indeed, unfounded.

Yes we can.

It seems that suddenly, there is hope and possibility, where before there was only time to wait it all out. The time is at hand and diligence is more important than ever.

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”

I hope and pray that we seize this opportunity we have been given and take it to the next level.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been a rather fascinating time for me. I'm incredibly happy and amazed that Obama won, though I learned that almost no one (save for one brother) in my family is excited. Of course, I also learned that one very homophobic brother confessed to me today that he's not homophobic in the least. We do have a long road ahead... Bring it on, I say.

Anonymous said...

I simply felt numb when Obama was announced the winner Election night. It wasn't until a couple of days later that the truth and excitement actually sank it. Of course, the passing of Prop 8 was a let down but at least we won on the biggie. Now, let's take care of the next item! (-:

Suavemente