Friday, January 2, 2009

Connected

I am coming to the end of 12 days off from work – the longest stretch I have enjoyed since I started my current job just over two years ago. This is not an adventure or getaway… just a bit of stay-at-home domestic bliss. Unfortunately, David has only had Christmas Day, New Year’s day, and Sundays off – that sucks… we have always had this time off together.

I feel the need to encapsulate things - to take a chunk of time and see it as a defining period, to try and give some meaning to the day to day, to view events as milestones along my way… Hell, if I didn’t, I would probably never write. I know others do this as well, but I try and draw the line between blah, blah, and a bit of substance. Far more goes on in my head than ever makes it to print – and trust me, that is a good thing (there is a lot of blah, blah in there).

So what has defined this time off? It seems to be a time of connecting and reconnecting. This is possible, in large part, to the fact that I have actually had the time to do it. Work consumes much of my time and most of my energy. But in an otherwise uneventful week and a half, I have reconnected with no less than 20 people. Whether in person, via phone, email, or web connections, it has been a very rewarding experience. It feels as good as the energy that existed on that OTHER social networking site when it still functioned.

How long this continues is up to me. I know that when it seems there is no time, I need to take the time. I think someone wrote something in a recent blog about cultivating friendships… oh right, that was me. Time to make it happen. I should follow the example of one person who is very special to me… we were connected on the aforementioned OTHER social networking site, and when THE GREAT EXODUS began, we exchanged email addresses and phone numbers and promised each other to stay in touch. When we reconnected this week through the internet, she picked up the phone and called the number that she has saved since we exchanged them. It was not only a pleasant surprised, the conversation affirmed that she is just as brilliant and beautiful as I always knew. Thank you, Haley.

Just one bit of irony… the attempted connection that started all of this (duly documented, two blogs ago) was my father reaching out to me in a way that was very surprising and more than a little curious. It is now one week later and my reply to him has gone unanswered. Oh well, c’est la vie… maybe there is still a chance, but it is part of a pattern that I have seen since I was a child.

But… To all of you who responded to my hope of reconnecting… thank you!

AND… A very big thank you to those of you who have remained connected.

With that, I feel like 2009 is starting on a positive note.

8 comments:

Galen said...

Bravo, Thom! It takes a certain amount of courage, as well as time and effort, to make the attempt to reconnect. Being as isolated as I am, I have tried to reconnect with some folks who were important to me, but I have to admit that it's hard to keep trying when phone calls or emails aren't returned. Your post might give the inspiration to try one more time...

Thom said...

It's so true - I have friends who are very special to me and were a very important during a time of major life changes. It is surprising (and hurts) when those calls and emails go unanswered. But I decided to move on and reconnect with the many others who are also important to me.

As I said, I especially appreciate those who have stayed connected - like you!

Claire Uncorked said...

Ah, Thom...I'm not going to assume that I'm one of those that you're speaking of, but I will say that I absolutely adore both you & David, & that I hope to meet you guys someday. Weird how you can feel close to someone you've never even laid eyes on, or had much one-on-one conversation...

joetalk said...

Love that we reconnected too!

Nilla said...

Well you know where I stand on reconnecting ...but I have been doing more of that as well. My work schedule doesn't really match Waynes anymore so that has left me with a lot of free time on my hands. And between you and me; although I wasn't that comfortable with it at first I actually like it now.

Haley C. said...

I can't even begin to count the number of times during the last year or so when I'd scroll past your name in my phone and think, "It's time to call Thom!"... and then for some reason, move on to whatever else I was doing. Hearing your voice when I finally did call was unbelievably good. Just as it will be when I finally have the chance to meet you and David in person.

And until then, I'll hold my thoughts of you as someone who is a landmark in the universe for me, and I hope I can be the same for you.

jainey said...

that OTHER site.
you're a riot.
it's like the Deplorable Word or something.

.99centPoetry said...

The human mind and heart,why we do what we do,and say what we shouldn't,will never be fully revealed or explained in any way that resembles logic to a voyeur.

I think that's part of what makes us all so crazy and wonderful...and want to always know more about each other,and people we always thought we knew but never did,or can.

I'm blessed for the connection I have to you my lovely friend.