Monday, December 29, 2008

This I Have Learned – 2008


I don’t make New Year’s resolutions. I believe that a change in behavior (the basis for most of these empty self-promises) can start as easily on a Tuesday in the middle of June as it can on January 1st – or 2nd… we usually don’t count New Year’s Day in our New Year’s resolutions, do we...

Since I am far better at predicting the past than the future and somewhat of a master of the obvious, here is my 2008 “This I Have Learned.” Most of this is not new, profound, nor will it provide any great epiphany - but here are things that encapsulate, for me, the year nearly past. Most are original (unless I am having plagiarized original thoughts) and the couple that are borrowed are duly noted:
___________________________________________________________________________

This I Have Learned – 2008

These days, it is far less important to like your job than to have one.

The dinosaurs didn’t see the asteroid coming – why should we have been expected to foresee the financial downturn? BECAUSE WE HAVE BRAINS BIGGER THAN A PEA!

Never plan more than four days in advance (thanks, Jim).

Never underestimate the stupidity of the masses (Prop 8 in CA, Amendment 2 in FL)

Never give up hope – meaningful, positive change is possible when people can no longer deny great stupidity.

Of intelligence, good looks, a sense of humor, integrity, courage, compassion, and strength, the most important is a sense of humor. It should be tempered by integrity and compassion, it takes courage and strength, it requires intelligence, and distracts people from your looks.

You can’t choose your biological family. You can either embrace them or move 1500 miles away… the 1500 mile thing is still working for me.

There is no problem so great that it cannot be resolved by a new pair of Pumas.

Life is empty without friends. Friendship must be cultivated. Not all that is cultivated survives.

Grow older gracefully, and then tell me how you did it.

While you are busy showing compassion for others, remember to save some for yourself.

Of sex, love, and rock & roll, none are overrated.

Giving a shit is hazardous to your health.

If you are deciding whether or not to toss the Holiday leftovers, get naked and look in the mirror.

What you have accomplished is far less important than who you have become.
__________________________________________________________________________

And with that little bit of witticism, cynicism, and observicism (I know it’s not a word, but this is my blog, damn, it) we close with a quote from a genuine wit, cynic, and keen observer of human nature – my mother:

“People are funnier than anybody.” Rosemary Helen Fanning Dezaio Palumbo -1920 - 2007

9 comments:

it's my thing said...

Thanks Thom for another meaningful observation. I think that the first one applies to me the most. Have a happy New Year.

joetalk said...

I love the fact that you either have a shoe fetish or a liking to large South American large cats . . . either one works. Love the list Thom!

Thom said...

Hey Richard, you have the start of a page here - cool!

Yeah, JJ, it's the shoe thing... has been for a long time - Pumas are just the latest obsession...

Anonymous said...

My take on the year is what has become my favorite quote ever, from none other than Tim Gunn... "Make it work!" It was my motto to get through the hell that was my most recent semester of school, and no doubt, it will get me through the rest of this grad school experience. Happy new year!

Nilla said...

Wow..."giving a shit is hazardous to your health"...that's funny considering the Christmas card you sent this year. (Which I thank you for by the way)...and Rosemary is a smart lady ...people are funnier than anybody. And so is life...or lack there of. The things you are sharing with us here are priceless and humorous.

Thom said...

Phil, I completely agree about the wisom of Tim Gunn's "Make it work!" Seldom does such an economy of words express so much.

Nilla, when I saw that Christmas card, I knew I found the right one. Ah, the things you can find in this gayborhood... I do give a shit, but I know the hazards. And yes, mom was wiser than she knew, with a great sense of humor... probably the best gift I got from her.

Anonymous said...

"What you have accomplished is far less important than who you have become."

Whew! I'm so glad you put that one on the list. Although I think I ended up as a pretty cool chick, I was beginning to worry about my body of "stuff I did". So I guess I'm free to stand by my past and own my "never dids", huh? There is still hope for the rest of my life...egads, gotta get busy. Gotta see Fritz, the Cat, ride the desert on horseback, and sit outside in my bathrobe and flipflops, martini in hand, talking trash and enjoying the sun setting over Florida with friends from New Joisey. (one should be on the end of a short leash, however)

Happy New Year, Mr. Shooz. (yeah, I've heard that you're known far and wide for the kicks. I really do love you, ya know...strangest thing...

Galen said...

I love your list. You're a wise person, Thom...and, even better, you have a great sense of humor. Happy New Year!

Thom said...

Ms. Pie... WHO you are is the reason why we connected in the first place. As far as what has not yet been done... all in good time. I feel like life started for me at 47. That's six years ago if we are counting...

Galen, don't confuse a wise-ass for a wise man. Hey, I think that is an addition to the list! : )