Friday, April 18, 2008

Always



The usual suspects of my office space
are strewn across the desk.
A study in organized disarray
both functionally and aesthetically displeasing
at once
in a fashion, or lack of fashion
that would make the most attention deficient
proud.

But over in the corner,
tucked between the phone
and my grossly ostentatious display
of position (not) and power (not)
(an engraved NAME and TITLE
that is in itself a study in bad taste),
is a picture.

In a little gold frame,
a little picture
of a man whose smile lights my life.
The cleaning crew may wonder
as they wipe around the clutter late this night
why the nameplate is a man’s
and the picture is of a man
but if I cared about that
the picture wouldn’t be there…
or maybe the name plate wouldn’t…

It doesn’t matter.

My love is always watching
with a smile on his face
as if he knows that his virtual presence
is a way to haunt this place
that treated him so poorly.

Let them think what they may.
You will always be by my side.

Always

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Organized disarray...that reminds me of me *sigh*
Beautiful babe..love is good when felt,but better when shared.

joetalk said...

bravo thom . . . and well said!

Galen said...

I especially like the verse which begins with "My love is always watching..." How fitting that his presence should haunt the place. And as for the frame around his picture...I see that you have gone for the understated look. :>)

Thom said...

lol Galen... we all need a little kitsch to liven up our space and here in the land of kitsch, it is easy to find!

it's my thing said...

Great picture of David. Yes. It's me Richard. This is my google name. Miss you on Yahoo but glad I can contact you here.

Anonymous said...

I see by this unique frame, you've gone all the way Florida, baby. Ay caramba!
Appropriate...you have a very unique type of love.