Thursday, June 19, 2008

Deep Breaths…


…did you ever have one of those days when you knew you would have been better off staying in bed? Of course you have. Today was my turn. Let’s run down, the list, shall we?

1. When I arrived at work, there was a very strong odor of fish. OK, let’s get past the obvious jokes… some fool taught a cooking class last night and cooked fish in a placed that is never going to have a window open because it is too freaking hot here. I like fish, but this smelled really bad.

2. There was a sticky note on my monitor. I hate sticky notes on my monitor because they never say things like “Hi Thom, I was just thinking about how wonderful you are and wanted to post it on your monitor to cheer you up first thing in the morning.” They say things like “FYI, the basement flooded again : )” Yes, they had the audacity to put a smiley face on the note as if this was going to be my best news of the day. Sadly, it was.

3. The alarm system decided to start beeping randomly, then at regular intervals. Could someone pick up a phone and call ADT to tell them? No, I had three people pick up the phone to complain to me about it. One of them is close enough that she could have just shouted it to me. One did shout it to me…

4. I hate meetings. I hate pointless meetings. I hate meetings that run off on tangents from scatter-brained people who couldn’t follow a linear line of thought if someone tied a rope to their head and pulled. I had one of those this morning, but the best part is that I wound up with al of the action items because I am the only one who can handle the mess made by aforementioned non-linear thinkers. No pressure, it all only needs to be completed by tomorrow…

5. Cowgirls. That’s my nickname (aside from she-devils) for my co-workers who never think things though, but rather just constantly shoot from the hip. Today, it was “let’s screw up my PC and make Thom fix it” day. I listened patiently to the imaginary PC problems, told them to step aside, and found no problem. “But it wasn’t working before! What did you do?” I didn’t sit there pounding keys impatiently waiting for a program to do what it is supposed to do when you stop pounding the freaking keys! .

6. The server is stuck in a back-up loop and won’t get unstuck. I called for support and got some of the best double-speak I have heard in a long time. No help there. If it’s not better by tomorrow, I will do what I need to do – turn the damn thing off and let it reset itself. Not the most elegant way around the problem, but it works… usually.

7. Did I mention that I am the Finance Manager? Did I get to work on the budget that is now a week past due? No. Will I get crap for it not being finished? Yes. Did I go home early because I was going to blow a gasket? Yes.

Actually, I was planning on going home a bit early… I am expecting a furniture delivery and they won’t deliver if no one is home. I just left a bit sooner than I planned. So now I am home, enjoying the silence and imagining the sticky notes that are being plastered all over my monitor…

6 comments:

Nilla said...

Lord honey, you sound like me ...I too think meetings are a pointless excuse for a bitch fest. I hate sticky notes as well, but aside from going postal over a post-it note what can you do. I work with all women and I am the only guy...so I know what you mean by cowgirls...

Thom said...

Ah, you feel my pain, young Nilla... I try not to focus on the fact that I work with all women, but damn! Even when jobs have opened up, they continue to hire more women. Yesterday the sound of their collective whining was maddening. With that, I am off to work...

Anonymous said...

Post-it notes should have their own inbox... in the trash can. Specifically, not in YOUR office trash can, but someone else's. Then you're considerably more free from blame. "Sorry, I never got the note... oh it was in her trash can? Well no wonder it never reached me."

Anonymous said...

Ya know,fish actually tastes good.However,I refused to touch fish for over a decade just because of the smell of it while being cooked.It's horrid!!!

I've always thought that meetings were counterproductive.And just paid soapboxes for people to try and convince everyone else why their insanity is more efficient than others.

I'm happy to hear you went home early.You have to keep from blowing like a volcano,if work allows you to go home early then do so.

Sticky notes can be good,and you just might need to join the rest in their love of using them.Try to uphold their love of passing on bad news.
Dear Suzie Cubicle,
I've seen more efficiency and productivity from a corpse.And your choice of lunchroom cuisine unfortunately smells just like one.Have a nice day :-)

P.S. Your husbands cheating on you and your children are embarrassed to be seen with you.

Anonymous said...

Well...having gotten past all that pointing to having to work with women for the downfall of Man, I'm seriously looking forward to the blog you're bound to write about that furniture delivery. Something must have gone wrong. At least, the delivery people...let's guess they'll be female for the sake of maintaining a theme...will be dressed funny, make a pass at you, or say something really stupid. I love when you color the dummies for us. (wink)

p.s.--I hope to hell you and Nilla Man have to work with me someday. Maybe on some volunteer project. I'll give ya something to blog about. (tee-hee)

Thom said...

The idiots always stand out - I work with some very good, strong, intelligent women. One is so smart, in fact, that she gave her notice and will be leaving next week. Now, it sems, it will be cowgirl rule. I have worked with all men and all women at times... I find that when there is a balance of each, everyone behaves better.

I don't have to color the dummies, they do it well enough on their own - and seems to be endless material for reporting to my good friends here.

I would love to work with you - I enjoy working with intelligent people... and fiesty women. : )

BTW - the furniure delivery was uneventful - damn!