Saturday, June 21, 2008

Yeah, I’m from Jersey…

… youze got a problem wit dat? Huh? I’m talking to youze…

And that’s pretty much what people expect from someone from the Garden State. Other than the northeastern part of the state, and the Trenton and Camden area near Philadelphia, there is a reason why it is called the Garden State.

I may talk about living in Maine more often, but I spent most of my life in New Jersey… and I never lived in an urban area. Most of the places I lived were downright rural. David laughs at my attitude about living in this city (Fort Lauderdale) – he is from Chicago; a real city. The first time he called me a country boy, I laughed at the irony of being called that AND coming from New Jersey. But to put it in perspective, would you be surprised if someone told you they are from New Jersey and that the Appalachian Trail runs through their town?



Unlike the first picture, the picture above is from the town I lived in the longest (12 years… I moved a lot). I didn’t take this picture, but this is Vernon, New Jersey… not Colorado. If I were to clear the trees in my back yard, this is pretty much the view I would have seen from the deck off of my bedroom. In the winter, when there were no leaves on the trees, I could see the lights of the ski runs on the mountains across the valley. It was very pretty in all seasons.


This picture, also not taken by me (my life in pictures pretty much disappeared in a relationship split from that time) is the lake that I lived on… yes, still in New Jersey.

So the next time someone tells you that they are from New Jersey, don’t feel obligated to pronounce it “Joysee” or ask “What exit,” because I just may have to call my cousin *Tony from Bayoneee or *Lefty from Trenton on your ass… Capish?

*Uh, yeah… those are real relatives

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Garden State...what we mostly see are the cities,but the East Coast has some of the most wonderful examples of nature at it's best and most beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it does sound strange that the Appalachian runs through NJ, but I guess it does, according to my map. Now I wonder what towns the Rocky Mountains run through? San Francisco, perhaps? LOL

Anonymous said...

Oops! That was me, Suavemente (-:

Claire Uncorked said...

I've only been to NJ once, & I was in Erial, not far from Philly. We did take a drive to Wildwood beach, but I was 16 & not really paying attention. I do know that I didn't see anything as scenic as what you described, though! If I ever get back there, I'll have to keep my eyes open.

Claire Uncorked said...

Gah, for some reason your blog won't update on my Google Reader! I guess that means I have to stalk you.... =)

Claire Uncorked said...

Ah, I got it worked out.

Thom said...

It's not you, Claire... I had to be different and use Feedburner:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot/YbXU

For those who are kind enough to put me in their Google Reader, this is the address you need.

Hmmm... maybe I bettter write a blog about it : )

Vagablonde Bombchelle said...

I found your post from Claire's working feedburner. I just had to chime in that I'm from Long Island, also filled with beautiful places (although I can't claim being from one of those places) and everyone expects me to talk with an accent and carry a gun. I've been living in Minnesota for nearly 8 years and am trying to convince my dear husband to move to Princeton. This is a stretch because he doesn't want to live in New Jersey, although he knows how beautiful Princeton. It's going to be a rough sell, but I will eventually prevail....

Anonymous said...

Ummm? No comment. ;-)

I've travelled as close as Newark, which is 52 miles away. Though, I don't ever remember seeing the hilly mountain like areas of NJ.

I also travelled as close as Easton, PA, which is 63 miles away and I was near hills and mountains and all that, though, that was also my drunken road trip lets drive in a circle by myself from Delaware to Jersey to Pennsylvania to Jersey and ending back at Delaware... Ummm, yeah? Don't ask.

Anyway, you know me, I may not know of the mountainous Jersey, but I do know of the farm and agriculture Jersey... mixed with trips "down the shore" and a little rough small town city life here and there. :-)

The Garden State really is beautiful, Jersey gets a bad rep... Though, my Dad knows some Italians who own construction companies. Just sayin'. ;-)

Claire Uncorked said...

Aha, good to know that it wasn't me for once.

You are firmly ensconced in my reader, as well as on my fancy new bloglist!

Anonymous said...

I think that's the Grand Canyon of the Pacific on Kauai, not Vernon, NJ.

Thom said...

I assure you - it is Vernon, NJ; I lived there for 12 years. But don't take my word for it, check it out on Google images...