Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Fine Find

…as in Fine Arts – specifically photography.

I was playing around with Flickr… something I spend very little time doing these days. While distractedly going to different screens, I found a feature that I never noticed or forgot about (one of the benefits of being 50+; so many things seem new, even if you did them before…). You can have it search your email and see if anyone in your contacts has a Flickr account. Well, lo and behold… I found three of you and added you all as contacts. But one was a special surprise.

I have known Rob for close to 30 years. I have the double blessing of having him as a close friend and a relative… he is my brother-in-law. Rob married my sister, Marie (the part of the family I actually talk about), in a ceremony held in my home way back in the 80’s. When my such-and-such of a father made it clear that he was not paying for their wedding, Marie took me up on an offer to have the wedding in my home and I was happy to do it. It was fun – I was best man, musical director, and caterer. Aside from being a wonderful occasion, it was good practice for going into the B&B business a few years later.

But I digress…

As long as I have known Rob, I have known his love of, and talent for photography. I have seen his work over the years, but what I saw on Flickr blew me away. When Rob returned to school and got his degree, and then his Masters in Photography, the quality of his art took a quantum leap. I am familiar with his black and white work – actually, I am proud to own two of them, but I have not seen this particular collection. It is stunning – I have no other adjective, and any additional superlatives will not add to how I feel about it – it is just simply stunning.

For me, there is the additional bonus of recognizing some of the locations for the subject matter, and of course, knowing the artist. I was tickled to see pictures of where I lived in NJ and also a bit of where I lived in Maine… very cool.

So, I give you Impressions… the photographic vision of Rob Rice. Take a bow Mr. R.







6 comments:

Blue Ice Dave said...

Rob's photos show wonderful composition...It would be great if he could get a showing at a local gallery or coffee house.

Nilla said...

Wonderful photos...Rob I never knew...I am truely amazed...what a great talent...

Anonymous said...

I love those photos!!

Oh..and I'm back..((Hugs))

Anonymous said...

WOW! I love B&W photography... Definitely, wonderful composition. I'll have to look him up. Thanks for sharing, Thom. Makes me want to get my ass in gear to experiment some more with photography like I keep saying I'm gonna... Oh well.

Claire Uncorked said...

Those are really great - thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Why is it that those you love the most are the ones you are rarely near? There are always times in my life when I look back and wonder why those people who were influential (in a good, loving, and positive way) at some point in my life, (or at many points) are the ones whose presence is lacking, while those whose presence is like a thorn in my ass I could not seem to get away from? Well, Thom is one who I miss sorely.

I am honored that you have chosen to publish such a powerful and wonderful commentary on the photographs you came across. Coming from you, one who has always had an great aesthetic eye and is quite good with a camera as well, the comments are even more meaningful. I am always happy to hear your thoughts.

For those who would like to take a closer look here are a few links to check out. http://www.flickr.com/photos/91542517@N00/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46679747@N00/

http://impressionsfineart.deviantart.com/

Feel free to comment, criticism is welcome .....

Rob