Sunday, June 8, 2008

Having a Life


A strange and wonderful thing has happened recently. The past two Fridays, David and I actually went out and put ourselves in a social setting. This odd behavior is partly coincidence and partly by design.

Aside from missing Sci-Fi Friday and our weekly fix of Doctor Who (gotta get that DVR), it has been oddly positive.

A week ago, we met two of David’s co-workers at a restaurant. One of the co-workers was leaving the state, so it was a bit of a farewell party. Pity… he’s a very nice guy and it would have been nice to get to know him better. But Jim, the other gentleman, is someone I know through David, and he and his partner (absent that evening) have expressed an interest in spending more time with David and me. So that means potential for more socializing… curious.

This past Friday we met a very nice couple at a local club. I knew Tom initially as a business contact, but I had not met his partner and David knew neither. We hit it off instantly, had a few drinks, then we walked to a local restaurant for dinner. Good conversation, lots of laughs, and as we stood outside the restaurant, each couple ready to walk home (you have to love that about this town) we expressed interest in visiting each other’s homes and, yes, spending more time together… curiouser and curiouser, Alice.

Wow… bars, restaurants, alcohol, food, and friends… these are elements that are dangerously close to those associated with normal socialization. Since we are self-proclaimed homebodies, it could be considered aberrant behavior.

Or more likely, something that has been elusive lately… having a life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so enjoying aberrant right now :-)More more more!!!

Its summer..go out and socialize,have a blast and sweat your ass off..it's fun :)

Anonymous said...

Our "out and about" has consisted of hanging out with the nurses in the ward, but Robert and I are just thrilled to be together again. We'll be going out more soon, too. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh..I also had a hot wrestling match,literally and figuratively.The guy broke me like a twig..and I still feel the pain.I was in heaven and covered in his sweat.Now thats living!

Yeah,just thought I'd share :-)

Claire Uncorked said...

Look at you guys, hittin' the town!

It's good for you guys to do this. Sometimes, I think that Doug & I do it too much, but then we have so much fun that I pass that off as a ridiculous thought.