Saturday, December 27, 2008

Time Will Tell

I received a rather remarkable email today. It was from my father. While for most people that may seem rather unremarkable, for me it is akin to a Christmas miracle.

For most of my life, my father and I never spoke to each other very much, and when we did, it usually was not good. There was a period when I was married where things improved – mostly because he adored my wife. When my marriage broke up, things started falling apart. When my mother passed nearly two years ago, they fell apart altogether. I did not travel for the funeral, nor could I, had I wanted to – but I did not want to because, to me, it was a violation of her very clear wishes.

Attempts at phone calls, gifts sent for Holidays… all went with no response – So I gave up. When I heard that he moved and did not tell me that he was moving or where he was, I was convinced that he wanted nothing to do with me.

Then I received an email today. I had to read it several times, but even though it said “Dad” at the end, it did not read like anything I have ever heard from him. For the first time in my life, he was reaching out to me. He wants to start anew. He even included the word “Love” in the closing – a word I have never heard from him. I don’t know if it is because of the Holidays, I don’t know if he was visited by three spirits in the night, I don’t know if he suddenly realized that he is growing older and he has no communication with his only son… but he sent it.

This presents a dilemma.

My father is probably the only person in the world (well, my world) who does not know I am gay. It is not because I am afraid of him, or ashamed of who I am… quite the opposite. It is because I know the reality of how this would hit an ultra-conservative, right wing, uber-Catholic who believes that the decline of the Catholic Church is the result of the “god-damned homos” rather than twisted pedophilic priests… plus he has a heart condition. I don’t want to be the one to push him over the edge. I also know how it would hurt him and in spite of our difficulties and differences, I do not want to cause him any hurt. But he reached out. If I am not to respond and reach back, it would go against everything I believe to the core of who I am. But I know if we begin a new relationship and if we are to achieve any closeness, the subject is inevitable unless I lie. After going through the process of coming out in my late 40’s, I am finished with the lies for this lifetime.

It was easy to avoid the subject when there was no communication. Sometimes it is easier to be angry with a difficult person because then it is their fault. But now, the ball is clearly in my court.

I wrote a response. I welcomed his note and said that I would like to start anew… and then I stared at the message for several minutes before I hit the “send” button. I did this fully aware of the implications and how his first attempt at reaching out to me could end with a lot of hurt. I don’t know what comes next.

Only time will tell.

12 comments:

Galen said...

I can well imagine the swirl of emotions this e-mail must have provoked, since I have no contact with several of my children and sometimes wonder what my own reaction would be if ther were to contact me at this point. It's hard both to be the one who makes the first move and to be the one who has to decide how to respond...to wonder if the risk of greater hurt is worth it, to wonder if the old wounds are healed over or or merely a hidden cancer. I'll hope for the best for you as this unfolds.

Anonymous said...

Okay...I'm sure you know if anyone was going to say this, it would be me...

"What!!! He doesn't know? How is that possible?? No one in the family knows..cuz that's the only way I'd think he would not have figured it out! He doesn't freggin' know? I gotta get another drink!"

So when is the visit? Love included in the message, eh? Funny how the things we wait for from others for a lifetime, shock the crap out of us when plainly expressed. I can't believe your Mom's passing was that long ago. Time does tell, as it zooms by. Gotta move quickly on the important things. I suppose your Dad knows that.

Another question...what would you do if you found out that he already knows? Time is also truth, baby. Wow...that would be the shy-yat! Think of the complexities that would have to add to the relationship. Can I be a fly on the wall, please? Gee whiz, this is the stuff of Lifetime flicks but starring Barry White.

(Gosh, I was stopping by to wish you a Merry Christmas...belated...I was in "that" mood so I decided to spare ya the howling. But this is better than that bunny pic)

Whatever you decide...do something. Don't let the opportunity pass by without your movement. That would truly be a loss...but that's just my opinion.

Luv you, Sweetie and Happy New Year! The story continues.

Thom said...

Thank you, Galen. I know if anyone understands, it is you. All I can do is hope for the best... and wait.

Allie, Allie, Allie... everyone from my sisters to my nieces and nephews know. If you knew my father, you would know how easy it has been to avoid the subject. If I find that he already knows I would be relieved. Because that would mean he is OK with it, since he reached out to me. I find this unlikely... you can be sure that regardless of the consequences, I will not let this opportunity pass.

joetalk said...

I thought my Catholic right wing blue collar father who I hadn't spoke with in 10 years wouldn't understand either. I'm typing this from a bedroom in HIS HOUSE!

I got lucky. I know this -- but my point is that I can relate to the scariness and anxious feelings, but sometimes people surprise you. I do believe you are right in that to have a relationship with you is to know all of you, and Dave is part of you. So he'll need to know to truly know you.

Remember, your not defined by your sexuality, it's just part of you. (And he does know, he might be in denial, but even that is knowing.)

My love, hope, and support are with you Thom. I applaud your start already.

Anonymous said...

Yup, yup, yup...I agree with everything Joe Joe said...

I was thinking about my Tallehassee born and bred, Baptist preacher, career Air Force, shade tree mechanic pappy and your situation. I smiled, because I know if he would have had a son like you...he would never ever let anything come between you and him. No, he wouldn't understand it, nor would he condone anything necessarily...but he'd love you because you were his, just like he loved all of his screwy children. Plus, he make you give him every detail about your feelings and desires...he liked to know things and he wanted to know everything about the people he loved.

You'd be a breath of fresh air if compared with the rest of us. Just go ahead with the knowledge that he could include love. The rest will work itself out, baby.

A few hours later...and I still luv ya...

Alli

.99centPoetry said...

It is never too late to start a relationship,no matter the kind,over again...if both want it.

My dad is the same.Super conservative old fashioned machismo catholic...as is my mom(without the machismo of course)I don't think I could ever tell them unless not given the choice.
There are for some things,more ease and peace in death than sharing.

You are partnered,long term,and for always.It will come out eventually.

We always hurt the ones we love,by living a life of our own choosing,and not theirs.

.99centPoetry said...

Omg I've been drinking too much to really tackle this tonight...along with my emotional wrestling matches the past couple months.

Just buy me a damn drink.

Elizabeth said...

Wow. That's intense. I'm new to your blog and interested to read more. I'd like to say that "love conquers all," but we know that is, at best, a simple statement. I imagine, though, that Truth never loses. Eventually.

Thom said...

What I have attempted to do here is to take the high road in an attempt at reconciliation. I have left out far more than I have included... over the past couple of days I have learned some details from relatives that lead me to believe that little has changed. Each day that goes by with no response to my attempt to reach out, confirms this.

JJ, I admire what you have accomplished. I was very happy when you were first reuinted and I am so happy to see that the healing continues.

Jeffrey, you seem to be able relate to the most simple truth of this - being open and honest about "who I really am" is less important than how that impacts an old-world mentality and could cause great hurt. This time, it is not all about me.

Elizabeth, welcome! Yes, love and truth can do many things, but not everything. Not every story has a happy ending. I am still haunted by feelings that this could all go very badly. OK, now that I got that bit of gloom and doom out of my system, I welcome you to read more - this is not typical of my entries

Anonymous said...

Wow. 'Flummoxed', I think, would be a good descriptor for you here. What this sounds like to me, is that you both have nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

I've spent much time in my life thinking about taking the high road and not hurting others, and I know very well what you're feeling. Just know that if you do take that leap of faith, whatever happens will not be anyone's fault, least of all yours.

If my own past can be offered as a comparison, I did everything I could not to hurt others, and my own family held no such concern for me. I've long since let that go and accepted that it is what it is, but what I've taken away from that is that when I did reach out in love, regardless of how well it was received (it's still a work in progress), I was at least at peace with the fact that I acted out of love, and nothing else.

Whatever comes of this, I wish you all the best. Hugs!

Thom said...

Thank you, Phil. I remember your struggle and how you eventually came out (no pun intended) transformed with a great sense of freedom. My experience was similar, but the difference for me was that it did not include my parents - and for good reason. During my transformative process, I was in therapy and also had the wise council of a good friend who is a psychologist. Both agreed that there was no good reason to tell my father. One said that I was risking one more rejection and asking me if I was ready for that. The other asked why I was laboring over a decision about someone who treated me "less than human" most of my life.

As I said earlier, I have left out more than I have included here. I appreciate your comments and take them to heart - also remembering the long hours we talked about this very subject. Unfortunately, each day that passes where my attempt to reach out goes unanswered, affirms what I believed to be true all along. Once again, time will tell...

Claire Uncorked said...

Wow, so sorry it took so long for me to read this!

People have said good things, & I agree. You can't control how your father will react, nor would it be your fault if his health was affected. I'm willing to bet that he knows, or at least suspects, on some level. Even if that's not the case, I fully support your decision to be honest. You deserve to be.