Friday, December 5, 2008

‘Tis the Season


I love Christmas, but even more, I love the Christmas season. I love the smells, sights, the music, the decoration, the presents (giving and getting), even the crowded stores. The world always seems a little brighter, yet softer this time of year.

But… you knew there was a but… there is the work aspect. Since we close between Christmas and New Year, it is a short month. I am happy for the time off, and I am happier still that I get paid for it, but all of the work still has to get done. When you work in finance, there is a monthly cycle and payroll still has to happen, bills still have to be paid, financial reporting still has to be completed… add to that every cold caller trying desperately to drum up new business before the end of the year…

So when I hit a normal amount of hours for a work week sometime on Wednesday, I realized why I am so tired. I was told I could take the day off today, but if I am going to make payroll next week, someone has to do bank deposits – that would be me. I worked five hours, finished all of the processing and entry necessary to do a bank deposit, and then called it a day. I think there is a nap in my near future…

It is not going to get any easier for the remainder of the month, but I do have that time off as a light at the end of the tunnel.

I really can’t complain (although, I spent the last couple of paragraphs doing just that). I have a job, a nice place to live, a functioning car, and a wonderful, supportive, loving partner. Not everyone is so blessed.

‘Tis the season to remember these things.

3 comments:

Blue Ice Dave said...

Yes, you can just remember the atonement present of one particular board member. We had a very nice evening thanks to that.

joetalk said...

You forgot the music -- some of it is so good, and some of it is well intended ;)

Have an eggnog for me!

Nilla said...

I hate this time of year, it blows ass...
Enjoy your time off tho'
I ll keep this short and retain my distain for fucking christmas.