Sunday, May 18, 2008

Trèy Bien


No, my French is not that bad… it relates to the story about:

It’s Finally Over

…sort of. The most dreaded day of the year – the annual BIG fundraiser that can make or break our little non-profit. The basket we foolishly put all of our eggs into, then try stretch this money until the next annual BIG fundraiser.

Some people enjoy this kind of thing. I don’t. I am not an event planner, I am not a fundraiser, I don’t even get the concept of non-profit… OK, I do, but I have always worked in for-profit business and that’s the business world that makes sense to me. But not only do I get roped into this and all of the other smaller fundraisers, I am always the one who has to deal with the raffles (bad idea), auctions (worse idea) and anything that remotely deals with money or the collection of cash, checks, credit cards, and anything people want to throw at us. I am the finance guy – Give me with my HP12C calculator and an Excel spreadsheets and I’m happy.

Well, it has now gone to another level of personal hell for me. Since letting go of experienced, competent staff (i.e. David), I am now pretty much running the show. Which means that I don’t get to enjoy the entertainment (that’s a story in itself) I have to be in three places at once orchestrating volunteers collecting money for a raffle, and training them in five minutes or less to be spotters and runners for a live auction and dealing with those, yes, again, damn mechanical swipe credit card machines. This year, the “organizers” of the event decided to have three auctions spaced out during the performances – with no room for as much as a table for me to get organized. So I stood for the better part of eight hours.

Did I say I hate events and I am not an event planner? Well, no one at work seems to get that.

But to show that I have not completely turned into a bitter bitch who only complains about work, I have to admit that there was one good (and very funny) thing that came out of the evening.

The day before the BIG fundraiser, a group of us went to the theatre to go over our logistics (that seemed to change every five minutes) with the theatre people. It took about five seconds to recognize that everyone involved with the theatre was gay (gee, in Fort Lauderdale… go figure). The manager was very nice and we quickly connected to the point that he started directing all of his questions to me. Now, it could be a gay thing, but I am going with the theory that it was his astute sense in recognizing who was sane and actually doing something other than looking pretty, stupid, or pretty stupid.

The funny part was when I arrived yesterday (at 3 pm for a 7:30 to 11:30 event). While standing amongst the ladies who were supposedly running the show, the manager came over to me and introduced me to Trey… my personal assistant for the evening. The look on their faces was almost worth the agony of the event. They were supposedly running the show and I got a personal assistant… hehehe. I was assured that Trey was there to provide me with anything I need… and my goodness, did Trey just follow me like a puppy asking me if I need water, a chair, or anything (and the word anything was repeated several times).

Let me take a moment to describe Trey. Have you ever met a young, extremely good looking Persian or Middle Eastern guy? Trey is just that. His eye contact was direct with a slight dilation of the pupils when he spoke to me (I know a bit about body language). The women were drooling and I was enjoying every minute of it. He completely ignored them… does it get any better? At one point in the evening I had to leave the theatre and put stuff in my car. I took one of the ladies with me because the theatre door would lock behind me and I needed to get back in quickly. Before hand touched door, Trey practically knocked her over and said “I’ll walk you to your car,” and dismissed her with a glance. We had a nice little chat, Trey and I, he let me in backstage and asked the anything question again.

Oh Trey, you made an old guy feel special for a few hours.

It was best summed up by one of my co-workers who was assigned to assist me with the auction. She is a very attractive young lady looking particularly hot in a tight fitting red silk dress and FM heels. With her at my side, and a gaggle of young female volunteers, Trey came over to ask me the anything question without as much as a glance at any of the fine looking ladies. In her lovely British accent, my co-worker said, “Well wasn’t he just all about you… don’t you just have too many bitches here tonight.”

Hehehe..

Oh, the “sort of over” part. The two ladies supposedly running the show are both leaving for a vacation – one for three weeks in Ireland, the other for a week on the coast of North Carolina. I have to go to work tomorrow, sort out all of the money collected in the chaos, run credit cards, call in pledges, summarize the information, get ready for a board of directors meeting, get busy on he annual budget that is due very soon… so it’s never really over.

But they will never have Trey, will they… hehehe…

9 comments:

Claire Uncorked said...

Congratulations on the event being over (technically) & for a job well done!

Hmmm... too bad they won't hire Trey for your assistant at work. Or maybe he seems to like you enough that he'd be willing to come by & clean the house for you & David.

Or paint that bathroom.

Oh, now my imagination is running away with me. I want a Trey.

Blue Ice Dave said...

Thom- The past few weeks have seemed like survival of the fittest for you. It's amazing that you have only touched on the special element of insanity that certain people bring to the table...Now, you just need to get through the next few days.

Claire- I'm shocked!!! Were you suggesting a menage-a-Trey?

Anonymous said...

You may have too many bitches,if that's even possible.But I enjoy being one of them :-)*kiss*

Anonymous said...

"Classic Thom" material. This is the exactly the kind of writing that I fondly recall from your postings on 360. Well done, my friend. Well done.

P.S. Dave, absolutely love the pun!

Anonymous said...

I really dislike people making me do something that I know I'm not particularly well at or when I know that I'll despise it... But, having a personal assistant does make life easier, especially if they had a nice butt... BUT, I'm sure that was not the case. ;-) However, you made it through the day and you came out on top... and, well... I should stop writing now. ;-)

No wait... So, if one of the ladies were to have Trey, wouldn't that be some form of BeTreyle? Hahaha... I wasn't sure I could top you, but... never mind. :-)

Claire Uncorked said...

"Claire- I'm shocked!!! Were you suggesting a menage-a-Trey?"

Ha! Very clever.

Hey, what you guys choose to do with or without him is completely up to you...but I really would have him paint that bathroom!

Thom said...

Yay Claire! Truth be told, we would have him do the same thing... clothing optional, of course.

Anonymous said...

I agree, Trey is worth checking out as long as you don't go for the nasty. After all, you are a happily partnered trey man. Oops, I mean gay man LOL And who knows, may be Claire was right, painting the bathroom might turn him on LOL

Suavemente

Claire Uncorked said...

I'd curtsy at the applause, but I'd just look like a fraud.