Thursday, May 1, 2008

Out Of The Frying Pan…

I am sitting in a hotel room looking at a view of something I haven’t seen in two years – mountains. I don’t count Vented Landfill Mountain on Rt. 95 as more than a blip in the flatness of Florida. I am on a business trip in Palm Springs, CA… OK, I know what you are thinking – wow, nice gig. Well, it is nice to get away, I am traveling with my boss who is as much of a buddy as a work associate, but… you knew there as a but… It is an organization of 99% women (chatty, chatty women) and the seminars and workshops are like a reintroduction to the corporate world… something I thought I left behind.

It’s not all bad. It is a good organization and I am meeting some very nice people. But (another but) the days are longs and each day seems to get more intense. For example, today’s activities start at 7:30 and end at 10 PM. Given the three hour time difference, this is WAY past my bedtime.

What a strange area. I have been to the desert before (south Arizona), but not here. Other than what has been artificially introduced to the area (golf courses, palm trees) there is no color. The mountains, while striking, are grey or brown. The winds, which I am grateful for after our first day hit 100 degrees, are ceaseless. Last night looked like a blizzard with sand instead of snow- it makes for interesting night driving. The nighttime view of a fire on top of a mountain was disquieting, although I’m not sure what can burn on barren rock. I look at it as an interesting place to visit… check it off the list of potential place to see.

It is good to be out of the office, even if I am getting annoying emails from work. They think I can fix their computer problems from here. Right… the problem is seldom the computer. I am trying to have fun with it as much as possible. What makes it difficult is the presence of three of our board members in attendance. They are, well… did I mention my boss is nice?

OK, off to shower and get ready for ten hours of back-to back seminars. I hope you are all having as much fun in your world.

Be good, my friends…

P.S. – David, I miss you so much! Next time I go away, I’m taking you with me. In this situation, it would be a little too much fun… then again I need to keep my job : )

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh babe,If I had to travel with my boss,one of us wouldn't make it back alive :-)

Enjoy the time away,it's good to travel.And being away from those we miss and love make the reunion all the more sweeter.

Blue Ice Dave said...

It would have been fun to be there, if for no other reason than to make the board members feel totally uncomfortable. You did warm my heart by telling me of how many people from across the country were asking about me...vindication is sometimes sweeter than a platter full of revenge served up cold.

Galen said...

I guess Palm Springs is a popular choice among the folks from, say, Minnesota or Maine, but going from one hot clime to another isn't my idea of fun. Travelling with my boss? Hmmmmm, don't think I'd be too thrilled with that idea, either. But, I guess it's not supposed to be fun, with 10 hours/day of seminars. But the idea of getting away...anywhere...does have its appeal at this point. Hopefully your next excursion will be more pleasure than business, with a certain someone along.

Anonymous said...

Finally, you have a blog site where I can leave a comment without having to be a blogger myself!

Glad you are writing again - and even more glad that I can view it - and even still more glad I can comment!

John in Iowa

Anonymous said...

"...It is an organization of 99% women (chatty, chatty women)"

Told ya! LOL...I'm starting to see a pattern over here, baby doll. (pinch) Dis shol' ain't da Vagina Chronicles. LMAO...

John said...

Well...travelling with the boss would be OK....but not as much fun as having my hubby along! :-) He is coming with me to Philly for the next trip....will be nice. Nothing better than being able to return to a friendly face after the whole day.